Crispy Tofu/Chicken Nuggets and Sweet Potato Fries
adapted from this recipe by Angela Liddon
1 package firm tofu and 3 chicken thighs or 2 pkgs tofu or 6 chicken thighs
1/2 C almond milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 C cornmeal
1/2 C bread crumbs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large sweet potatoes
oil for spraying
salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain tofu: Remove tofu from package and wrap loosley in clean dish towel. Place the wrapped tofu on a plate and cover with something heavy. I used 4 cookbooks here. Let tofu drain for about 30 minutes.
2. While tofu is draining, wash the potatoes and cut into fry shaped pieces.
3. Spray 2 baking sheets lightly with oil.
4. Put the fries on one of the trays and lightly spritz with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to use other spices here as well. I prefer the more naked sweet potato taste.
5. Once tofu is drained, cut it into 9 equal strips.
6. If you are using chicken thighs, cut them into nugget sized portions.
7. Preheat oven to 400 F
8. Whisk together the almond milk and cornstartch in a shallow dish.
9. In another bowl mix together the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, and spices.
10. Using one piece of tofu and/or chicken at a time, first dip in the milk mixture and then the cornmeal mixture, making sure that the pieces are well covered with crumbs.
12. Place fries on lower rack and nuggets/strips on middle rack in oven. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping both the fries and tofu/chicken half way through. After 40 minutes, remove the tofu/chicken from the oven, and broil the sweet potato fries for a few minutes to charr them a bit.
13. Enjoy with a fresh salad and dipping sauce of your choice.
This was delicious and so healthy. It's a great meal for someone who is trying to be a vegetarian but lives with a carnivore. Enjoy!