Saturday, May 11, 2013

Whole Grain Biscuits done Two Ways and Sugar Moon Farm



Sugar Moon is a maple farm in Nova Scotia that is known for their pancake breakfasts and of course, maple syrup. I'm not much of a pancake person really, but these were amazing pancakes. They really didn't seem to sit so heavy in your stomach like a regular pancake does. They say that this is because they are made with Red Fife Wheat flour. It's called Red Fife because the kernels are red, and the first family to grow this variety of wheat in Canada had the last name Fife. It is considered to be a heritage wheat, and is the parent wheat of all varieties of wheat grown in Canada today. Unlike most of the wheats available today, it has not been bread for large output, and for this reason, many people who have wheat sensitivities seem to be able to tolerate Red Fife Wheat. As another added benefit, it is grown in New Brunswick.

Other than the pancakes, we were served Red Fife Wheat buttermilk biscuits topped with maple butter, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven when they hit my mouth. Needless to say, we left with a tub of maple butter, and I was off to the grocery store for Red Fife Wheat when we got home to duplicate this delicious treat. I ended up making two different varieties of biscuits over the next couple of weeks, and I think my Grammie's version (adapted) was my favorite. I will certainly be making some maple butter at some point as well. I highly recommend a trip to Sugar moon at some point. You should take in the whole experience from the hike, to the the breakfast, to the tour of the farm, and the maple on snow treats. It was an awesome day.



The first biscuits I made contain wheat germ which has its own distinct flavour. The flavour makes me think of muffins. They were definitely good, but I think I liked my Grammie's adapted recipe better. Straight out of the oven, those biscuits topped with that maple butter left me speechless.... well moaning with delight actually. If you don't have access to maple butter, find some - seriously! But if not, I think molasses would be a yummy alternative.



Whole Grain Wheat Germ Biscuits
adapted from this recipe at the Mayo Clinic

1 C Red Fife Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 C unbleached all purpose flour
3 Tbsp wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp chilled butter, but into small pieces
1 C almond milk
1 Tbsp vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix almond milk and vinegar and let sit.
3. In bowl, combine flours, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to blend.
4. Add the butter to the flour mixture, and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Add the almond milk mixture and stir just until moist. Do not over mix. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and with floured hands, knead gently until smooth and manageable.
7. Using your hands flatten dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Flour a glass or biscuit cutter, and cut biscuits, re-rolling scraps to make more biscuits until all dough is used.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes and serve hot.


Grammie J's Biscuits made healthier

1 C all purpose flour
1 C Red Fife Whole Wheat flour
1/3 C sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 C almond milk
1/3 C coconut oil

1. Cut coconut oil into dry ingredients.
2. Use milk to make dough soft.
3. Add flour just to make stiff enough to roll out with hands. The less you handle the dough, the better the biscuits!
4. Pat out flat and cut with floured cutter.
5. Cook at 450F until golden and cooked through ( about 10-12 minutes). Makes 12 large biscuits. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Sugar Moon and try to go at least once a year, if not more! I enjoy the biscuits and maple butter almost as much as I enjoy their pancakes! Hmmm, now I'm hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely be making it a yearly excursion as well

    ReplyDelete