Sunday, September 8, 2013

Soft Molasses Buckwheat Cookies

You know how there are some flavors that are "adult" in nature? To me, one of those flavors is molasses, even though its sweet and sugary. It makes me think of baked beans, molasses cookies, or molasses spread over hot biscuits - all foods I associate with my grandparents. 


I don't think I ever baked molasses cookies before last week, but its one of those things I've been meaning to do. I found a recipe that was hand written in an old book, so I figured it must be good. I just swapped a few ingredients to make it my own. I decided to swap the all purpose flour for buckwheat which worked out beautifully. I think the fine consistency of the buckwheat made the cookies even softer. I was lucky it worked because if it didn't, I would have been stuck with 70 cookies I didn't like. I froze most of them, and they froze well and defrost easily.  I feel like they should be enjoyed in the afternoon with a hot cup of orange pekoe tea - just like at Grammy's. You can take them out of the freezer when your friends and family arrive they'll be ready to enjoy with your tea as soon as it steeps.

Soft Molasses Buckwheat Cookies

3 1/2 C Buckwheat Flour
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C molasses
3/4 C butter softened
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C hot brewed coffee

1. Combine first 5 ingredients, and mix well. Add the molasses, butter, and egg and mix until evenly combined.
2. Stir baking soda into the the hot coffee, then add to the dough. Beat until blended.
3. Drop by the tablespoonful onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Cook in oven preheated to 350F for 10-12 minutes on top rack.

Makes 60-70 cookies.

Approximate Nutritional Information per cookie ( for 70 cookies)

cal : 54
fat : 2.2g
   sat fat 1.3g
protein 0.9g
carbs: 8g
     fiber 1.1g

No comments:

Post a Comment