I've decided I really don't eat blue cheese or pine nuts enough, although looking at the nutritional information I've calculated, that's probably a good thing. This salad is well worth the indulgence though, believe me!
Spinach Salad with Roasted Pine Nuts and Gorgonzola
makes 2 main dish servings
2 large handfuls baby spinach
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 oz Gorgonzola, chopped into cubes
1/4 C pine nuts
Poppy seed dressing
2 1/4 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground mustard
2 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1. Wash and spin spinach and place in a large bowl.
2. Heat olive oil over med heat in a frying pan. Add onions, and cook until caramelized. This can take up to 30 minutes. You need to watch carefully to assure they don't burn or dry out. If they begin to brown too quickly, lower heat. If they start to dry out, add a splash of water. You will need to stir more frequently as they get closer to being done. About 15-20 minutes in, you can add the peppers. Once the onions are nicely caramelized, remove from heat, and add the balsamic vinegar. Stir.
3. While onions are cooking, place pine nuts on a rimmed cookie sheet and toast in a 400F oven for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. They can burn quickly so watch closely. Remove from the oven.
4. Prepare the dressing by placing all ingredients in a sealable bottle and shaking vigorously.
5. Place the warm onions and peppers, pine nuts, cheese and dressing in the bowl with the spinach and mix. The heat should very slightly wilt the spinach and melt the cheese. Serve immediately.
Approximate Nutritional Information per serving ( including dressing)
sat fat 8.4g
sugars (includes natural sugar in vegetables) 9.5g