Thursday, June 26, 2014

Charred onions and Fiddleheads



When we were kids, my family would head to northern New Brunswick for at least a week every summer to spend time with my grandparents and extended family. My grandparents owned a farm, so I remember picking (and eating) fresh vegetables and berries, collecting eggs, and running around in the barn and yard. When it was raining or we had moved in for the night, we always played UNO or Lobsters and Fiddleheads. I would take a wild guess that most of you have never even heard of the game Lobsters and Fiddleheads. When I googled it, the only thing that popped up was the abandoned trademark information. I honestly can't remember how to play the game, but I know that the next time I'm at the farm, I'm looking around to find that game and relive some family memories. Outside of playing a game about fiddleheads, fiddleheads were also always on the menu when we were there. My grandmother picked her own fiddleheads and froze them to have out of season. As a child, I don't think I was enamoured with them, but their unique shape helped get them down ( along with a healthy helping of vinegar to mask the bitter taste). Now, I like to have them at least once a year when they're in season, and this is how I like them cooked. I know I'm late posting this recipe, but if you can still get some fiddleheads, this is a simple and tasty way to cook them up.



Charred Onions and Fiddleheads

2 Handfuls of Fiddleheads washed
2 onions, chopped
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 handful slivered almonds

1. Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat.
2. Saute onions in dry skillet until they begin to char
3. Add fiddleheads and continue to saute for another 10 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and stir in the balsamic
5. Serve topped with almonds


No comments:

Post a Comment