Sunday, December 2, 2012

Barley Risotto with Beans and Kale



Today's recipe should bring us to the end of recipe week, but I still have several recipes left, so I'm going to keep posting daily until all the old goodies are on here. This risotto is not the prettiest thing I've made, but it was really tasty. It was also good as left overs, unlike most traditional risottos. I've really been getting more and more into the vegetarian recipes, and I really haven't found that many bean recipes that I'm fond of so its nice to have a new one to add to my repertoire.


Barley Risotto with Beans and Kale
adapted from this recipe at Smitten Kitchen

1 C vegetable broth
4 C water
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 leek, sliced thinly
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 C white wine
1 C barley
1 14 oz can of beans of your choice, rinsed and drained (I used Pinto)
3 C kale
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

1. Bring the broth and water to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium. Add the leek and thyme and saute until leek is softened.
3. Add the barley and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
4. Add the wine and continue stirring and cooking until wine is absorbed.
5. Add the broth to the skillet, 1/2 C at a time, and continue stirring until it is nearly absorbed. Repeat. This took me about 50 minutes total, and the end product was thick and creamy.
6. Add the beans and let them cook for a minute to heat up. Then add the kale and let it wilt ( about 1-2 minutes).
7. Stir in the Parmesan and butter and season to taste.
8. Serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmesan on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment