Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken/Tofu Parmigiana



The recipe I'm going to share with you today is written in a well used notebook. The pages are all starting to fall out, and I thought it would be a nice idea to slowly transfer all of these recipes to my blog. Most of them are my favorites from childhood.  This particular one was my favorite growing up - one of those recipes you request for your birthday dinner. It still stands up, and its great the night before an anticipated day of activity outdoors. Pasta is great to give you the energy you need to get you through the day.Tofu was not on the menu in my house growing up, so we had the chicken version - which Louis still prefers. I've adapted it for tofu and it works really well.  Hope you like it as much as Louis and I do!

Chicken/Tofu Parmigiana

4 chicken breasts OR 2 chicken breasts and 1/2 large package of tofu OR 1 large package of tofu
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 C bread crumbs of your choice
1/8 - 1/4 C oil for frying ( I used light olive oil)
1 28 oz can low sodium diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
150-200g mozzarella or goat cheese mozzarella ( I used half and half)

1. If using tofu, drain for 30 minutes prior to use. 
2. In small bowl, combine eggs, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. 
3. Place bread crumbs in a bag. 
4. Cut chicken and/or tofu into nugget sized pieces. 
5. Dip chicken/tofu in egg mixture, and then shake in crumbs to coat. 
6. Heat oil on medium in skillet. I heat about 1/8 of cup and only add a bit at a time as I go if I think I need more. 
7. Brown chicken/tofu on both sides in the oil, and then place in 9x13" baking pan. 
8. Preheat oven to 350F
9. In medium saucepan, combine tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. 
10. Stir in butter. 
11. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. 
12. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. 
13. Uncover and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake an additional 10 minutes. 
14. Enjoy served over pasta of your choice, spaghetti squash, or along side steamed vegetables. 


No comments:

Post a Comment