Sunday, June 23, 2013

Hummus from dried chickpeas


I love hummus, and I have tried making my own several times, but never loved a recipe enough to make it again. That has finally changed. This is not any kind of special flavored hummus, just a straightforward recipe, but it is the creamiest version I have ever made. I don't know if it is because it's made from dried chickpeas or its the correct ratio of ingredients, but whatever it is, it is delicious. I love dipping veggies or Mary's Organic crackers in my hummus or using it as a spread on sandwiches or pizza. I didn't add the oil in. I drizzled it on top because I love the flavour of olive oil. You can whip it all together if you prefer it that way.

Hummus from dried chickpeas
adapted very slightly from this recipe by Steve Cylka

2 C dried chickpeas
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
juice of half a lemon
3 Tbsp tahini
3 garlic cloves
1/3 C olive oil
1 Tbsp cumin

1. Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight in the fridge.
2. Drain the chickpeas, and place in a pot. Cover the peas with fresh water and the baking soda
3. Bring the chickpeas to a boil, and let boil for 10 minutes. Then turn the heat down to a low boil for about 40-50 more minutes. The chickpeas should be very soft.
4. Drain the chickpeas and let them cool to room temperature
5. Place the chickpeas, salt, lemon juice, tahini, and garlic in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. if you like a thinner consistency, you can add some water, but I didn't think it was necessary. At this point, I stopped and froze some of the hummus.
6. To serve, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin.

No comments:

Post a Comment